2017-10 BEC Meeting Minutes

Executive Board Meeting
SIR Branch 19
October 5, 2017

Sir Jack Barnaba called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. A quorum was present.

ATTENDANCE: Sir’s in attendance were: J. Barnaba, J. Carl Sr., R. Peterson, D. Diamond, B. Silberman, K. Kuhn, G. Vogt, J. Burton, T. Dobbs, J. Burton, J. Fernando, J. Duncan, R. Cashion, J. Wolfe, T. Dobbs, A. Owens, L. Kolano, D. Requa, L Kolano, J. Fair and R. Hillaker.

MINUTES: The Executive Board Meeting minutes from September 2017 were approved.

TREASURE’S REPORT: Sir Diamond reported that total funds in the branch account are $4,300.79, with an additional $675.06 in the bowling account and $2,875.76 in the golf account. That brings us to a total for the branch of $8,101.61. Sir Diamond reported that we are up to date on collections for past members missed luncheons. Sir Barnaba said that at the next meeting we will talk about any changes to our monthly luncheon costs.

MEMBERSHIP REPORT: Sir Kuhn reported that our total membership this month is 129. We lost one member last month Bernie Theobold who moved out of our area. We have three new members this month Dave Zamperini, Paul Aguilar and Jim Thurman. Median age for the branch is 73. We have two guests invited to this months luncheon.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: Sir Duncan reported we had 14 excused call in’s plus 7 late calls for today’s luncheon. There were 106 meals ordered for today which included 3 for quests and dining tables ordered totaled 14.

BIG SIR REPORT: Sir Barnaba:
Sir Barnaba first talked about the 50 SIR license plate holders that were ordered for our branch. We paid $2.00 for each and SIR’s who bring in new members will be given one. Other members will be able to buy them for $2.00. They will be good advertising for our SIR recruitment efforts. He will promote them at today’s luncheon.

Sir Barnaba then talked about our annual picnic that was held in September. Everyone had a good time and Sir McKay did a great job in getting Kinders to cater our function. One thing for next year to consider was having deserts provided by members and/or their wives. Everyone agreed that Kinders should be our first choice for next year’s picnic.

Sir Barnaba talked about RAMP and our need for a Publicity chairman. Sir Kuhn has talked with SIR Linster and he was agreeable to possibly doing it in 2018. Sir Barnaba will follow up with Sir Kuhn to see if that can be confirmed or if we need to continue our search for a Publicity chairman.

State Branch leadership annual training has been scheduled and we will attend the sessions on Friday October 13th at Rossmoor. Morning sessions will be for Branch officer training. Afternoon sessions will be for RAMP and Nominating committee training. Bill Holly sent out a map and timeline for the training. We should have all of our branch positions represented at the training.

Sir Barnaba reported that he has spoken to the Choir leader from Clayton Valley High and they will be performing again at our December Christmas luncheon. The Christmas luncheon table costs will be budgeted similar to last year. The cost per person to attend will be set at $35. Sir Diamond will send out an itemized cost sheet from last year to the Christmas planning committee members.

At next month’s BEC meeting Sir Barnaba plans to talk about additional activities for our Branch. All board members were asked to consider new activities and be prepared to discuss them then.

Little SIR REPORT: Sir Carl:

This month’s luncheon speaker is Frank Allocco who is a former Coach, Camp Director, Athlete and Writer. November’s luncheon will be a Veterans Appreciation day. Members will be asked to wear any military gear that they have to the luncheon. The speaker will be a pilot from the Vietnam Helicopter Museum at Buchanan field in Concord. He will talk about their association and what they do for our Veterans. Also, Sir Kuhn and Sir Peterson will speak about their experiences while flying as helicopter pilots in Vietnam.

Activities:

Sir Fernando reported that this his team made it to the playoffs in the Bocce competition.

Sir Carl reported that our bowling group’s Sir Kropf will speak at next month’s luncheon on up coming bowling events.

Sir Burton reported our annual golf club championship are taking place at Lone Tree GC this month.

Sir Vogt will be stepping down from the hiking committee. The possibility of using other Branch’s hiking groups for our members was discussed and recommended.

Sir Burton talked about a possible day activity in November. It would be a trip to the Duarte (Poinsettia) Nursery just outside of Modesto. Sir Dobbs said he would review it and report on it next month.

Sir Duncan talked about the Fried Chicken Bingo Night set for October 25th at Oakhurst. We have 32 paid so far and Sir Duncan will promote it again at our luncheon today.

There is a dining around at Luna’s restaurant in Concord on Thursday 10/19.

New Business:

None.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:51.