Executive Board Meeting
SIR Branch 19
February 1, 2018
Sir Ken Kuhn called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. A quorum was present.
ATTENDANCE: Sir’s in attendance were: K. Kuhn, J. Carl Sr., R. Peterson, D. Requa, D. Diamond, b. Silberman, G. Vogt, J. Burton, J. Fernando, J. Fair, R. Cashion, J. Wolfe, R. Crabaugh, A. Owens, M. Mills, and B Persons.
MINUTES: The Executive Board Meeting minutes from January 2018 were approved.
TREASURE’S REPORT: Sir Diamond reported that total funds in the branch account are $3,941.22, with an additional $559.59 in the bowling account and $1,509.00 in the golf account. That brings us to a total for the branch of $6,259.81.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT: Sir Crabaugh introduced new members Jay Gordan sponsored by Sir Persons and Ken Bellendir sponsored by Sir Martin. Both individuals were inducted into the branch and sent off to have their new member orientation session.
ATTENDANCE REPORT: Sir Fair reported we had 22 excused call in’s for today’s luncheon. We have two quest for today’s luncheon. Total members for the branch is 129. There were 94 meals ordered plus 3 more for guests and the speaker. Dining tables ordered for today’s luncheon totaled 13.
BIG SIR REPORT: Sir Kuhn:
Sir Kuhn first brought up that this month is the three year anniversary of Sir Silberman membership and one year anniversary for Sir Dobbs. Also this month marks the 33rd membership anniversary for Sir Colvin. Sir Kuhn said he would recognize our members that have ten or more years membership anniversaries at today’s luncheon and going forward.
Sir Kuhn then talked about our losing a new member due to the difficulties of his finding seating at our last luncheon. Also his perceived unfriendliness of some members to him. An email was sent in January to our board members by Sir Kuhn which asked for their feedback on this membership problem. After receiving the responses Sir Kuhn summarized them and produced a report that also gave his take on what needed to be changed. Sir Kuhn said that he wanted to make this membership issue the focus of today’s meeting. A ‘Friendship Project Suggestions’ list was passed out to the board members to review. Sir Kuhn then asked every board member to talk about his ideas on the issue and possible solutions. Here is the highlights and common threads that ensued from the board discussions:
1. Sponsors need to be responsible for their new members. Both in getting them seated at the luncheons and in introducing them to other members.
2. Having assigned seating is not a good option at this time. But have tables keep one or two spots open for those new members in need of a seat.
3. Change name tags so the first name is easier to read and highlight the new members someway on their name tags.
4. Provide lanyards or some wearable device, other than name tags, that will make the new members very obvious to existing members.
5. Have a greeter at the door who knows who the new members are and can help them as soon as they arrive at the luncheons.
6. Limit or do away with our luncheon speakers so we have more time to socialize. Our primary goal is to ‘Make New Friends for Life’ not listen to speakers.
7. Board members should take the lead in making new members feel welcome and part of our group.
8. Encourage new members to get involved in branch activities as soon as possible, as this will help make them feel they are part of our group.
Sir Kuhn then concluded the meeting with several of his ideas or plans. A green strip will be placed on the new members name tags. We cannot assign seating as this will create more problems then it will solve. We meet as a group only 11 times a year so use the time productively. Board members should be friends to everyone and encourage other members to also reach out. We will address these issues again at our March BEC meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:06.